Monday, September 23, 2013

Wild Child Publishing Autumn Blog Tour


Do you have a favorite fall memory linked to a train? What do you imagine you would see if you were riding a train in the fall? Join the authors of Wild Child publishing and Freya’s Bower as we Take an Autumn Train Ride through our blogs.
Prizes will include

·    Four $50 gift certificates (two for Wild Child and two for Freya's Bower)
·    An awesome swag package that includes:
o    Bookmarks
o    Books
o    Wild Child T-shirt and mug
o    Wild Child and Freya's Bower bags
o    Four handmade, crochet coasters by Kit Wylde
o    An autographed copy of Rosemary and Rue by Seanan McGuire
o    A rare DVD copy of the Matheson/Furst classic "Up The Creek" (lovingly used)
o    One ebook copy of Nita Wick’s short story, The Dream (previously published as part of a Freya’s Bower anthology.)
o    Book trading cards
o    Signed Dangerous Waters poster
o    copy of "Battle for Blood: The Blood Feud"
o    the winner’s name as a character in Kissa Starling’s next sweet romance story.
o    A Yankee Candle
o    and more...

                                                    My Autumn Train Ride

           I hadn’t been on a train since elementary school, but they don’t have an airport in Winona, Minnesota. I was going to pick up my wife who had driven to Mayo Clinic in Rochester. She had a surprise surgery and couldn’t drive for a couple of weeks, so I was off to get her, but I had to go by train and the hotel shuttle would meet me there.

           I picked up the train at Union station in Chicago. The grand old train station that takes you back 50 years just by walking into it. It was before all this high security they have now, so I made my way to the track and boarded the train.

    Shortly after pulling out of the station, they came around wanting to know who was interested in supper. They assigned me a time and I waited by watching the scenery flash by the window with frequent stop at various stations to pick up passengers along the way.

    The time came and they whisked me off to the dining car where I enjoyed a restaurant style supper with 3 people I didn’t know before that moment, but were a pleasure to dine with. We all enjoyed the good company and lively conversation. It was dark by the time we bid each other adieu.

    On they way back to my seat, I passed through the observation car and decided to get my old friend, Jack Daniels on the rocks. I made my way up the short staircase to the observation deck and enjoyed my beverage under the stars of the clear autumn sky. An hour later, I found my way back to me seat.

    I settled in and relaxed to the clackety-clack of the train and before you know it I was awakened by the conductor as he passed and tapped me on my shoulder. “Winona, next stop.”

    Again I was hurled back 50 years as the train pulled into the small train stop with the weathered sign declaring we had just pulled into Winona, Minnesota. A couple of passengers followed me off the train and into the depot.

    “Mister Payne?” said the man wearing the baseball cap adorned with the hotel’s logo that also appeared on his shirt.

    I acknowledged him and he led me to the big shuttle where I stuffed my luggage in the back and made myself comfortable in the plush seats. Within an hour, I was dropping my bags on the floor of my room.

    It had been probably 30 years since I’d ridden on a train, but the thrill was still there. And, oh yeah, my wife made it home safe and sound.




                                                   Larry Payne




  
My New Book, RIDE THE SAVAGE LAND, is available from Wild Child Publishing http://www.wildchildpublishing.com/westerns-c-90/ride-the-savage-land-p-414.html and on Amazon...http://www.amazon.com/Ride-the-Savage-Land-ebook/dp/B00BMWE79A/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text



   







Please visit these sites for more chances to win, the more you visit the more chances you have to win. We have 46 participating authors. You can stop at as many or as little blogs as you wish. At each stop, you will find two chances to enter per blog to win some awesome prizes. If you visit all, that’s 92 chances to win! There will be five, lucky winners.

Take the Blog Train and Visit These Blogs for more chances to win
    


Marci Baun/Kit Wylde
Critters at the Keyboard
Teresa D’Amario
Judith Leger, Fantasy and Contemporary Romance Author
Highland Rogue Writing
The Fictional World of Jaime Samms
Follow Where the Path will Take You
The Wandering Mind of Lizzy P. Bellows
Where Love and Magic Meet
Kissa Starling
Marianna Heusler
Hell’s Ambrosia
C.M. Michaels
The Shadow Portal
The Blog Zone
Blog By iMagine
Ardyth DeBruyn Author Blog
Shadows of the Past
Dear Reader
Cassie Exline -- Mystery and Romance
Sarcastic Rambling & Writing
That’s What I Think
Sue’s Random Ramblings
Make Old Bones
Elements of Mystery
Molly Dean's Blog
Kenzie’s Place
The Forbidden Blog
David Huffstetler
Cassandra Ulrich
Carol Marvell
Andrew Richardson
Nick Lloyd
Fiddleeebod -- land of stories
Nita Wick’s Blog
Ruth G. Zavitsanos
Too Poor for Texas
Jenn Nixon
City of Thieves
Musings and Doodles
Husein
The Western Writer
Bike Cop Blog
The Character Depot
Allen Currier
Tracy Holohan

a Rafflecopter giveaway

9 comments:

  1. I've ridden three trains and enjoyed every one of them:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who lives outside of Chicago and rides the train all the time. Really enjoyed your story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for coming by, Cassie! Chicago's Union Station still has that old time atmosphere! That's where they filmed the baby carriage scene for Kevin Costner's movie, The Untouchables!

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting piece of memory. Thank you for sharing!
    Carmen
    http://shadowspastmystery.blogspot.ro/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for stopping by, Carmen! It was fun reminiscing that rare train ride!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great train to ride on, Larry :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was great way to travel, Carol!

    ReplyDelete